Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas break in Scotland

Unlike last year's adventurous christmas in the Gambia, this christmas was back to peace, quiet and nice homeish style with lots of eating. We spent a few days in Brian's home in Scotland with his family. Sara and her friend Marianma travelled all the way from Africa back home for xmas too. Nice to see them again, it has been a year since we met in the Gambia. Christmas in the West is always the same to me, very much like Chinese New Year, people meet up with friends and families and involve continuous eating events.

Instead of Chinese New Year markets they have christmas markets, christmas trees instead of "peach flower", christmas flowers instead of little mandarin trees, presents instead of red pockets, turkeys instead of various Chinese New Year dishes. To some people Christmas is celebrating the birth of Jesus, but to a lot of them it is just a once a year family reunion, the idea is entirely the same as Chinese New Year. I have not been home for a few Chinese New Years already, not been able to receive my eldest sister's red pockets (Only married people give them). I am really looking forward to Feb.



Same as usual as Elizabeth said, I had my birthday on Christmas Eve. Brian made me a nice sweet birthday cake. Prior to Christmas I received a few birthday presents. My sister said I was robbing people by visiting during Christmas time. Having being born on Christmas Eve was not my choice though, although I quite enjoy it.




Everytime we visit Brian's family we cook a Chinese dinner for people, this time is no different. Although I don't really think we are particular good at cooking, people seems to like it very much. As long as they enjoy our food we are happy to cook :).

No comments: