Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

2006 has come to an end and today is a new start. Last night was the first time I spent a new year eve with only Brian, sitting at home quietly watching tele. It made me thought a lot about my past, all those years I used to spend with friends and families for all the big festive events. It was fun. My life has changed a lot since 2001 when I first moved to Denmark. I travelled a lot since then, this is the summary of where I spent the last six xmas and new years:
2001 Norway
2002 Hong Kong
2003 Scotland
2004 Scotland and Denmark
2005 The Gambia and Denmark
2006 Scotland and Denmark

Although I have been travelling a lot, the amount of time I actually spend sitting around at home in these years probably exceed the amount for the 20 years prior to 2001. I spend 95% of my evenings, 80% of my weekends at home. Having such a nice apartment is crucial to this living style. People always ask me why I do not go out. I just cannot find a good reason to go out. Here the shops always sell the same things and you would not really want to look at the price tags at all. Going out shopping once every half a year (during the big sale periods) seems to be good enough. Moreover, everything here only opens from 10-17 on Saturday during the entire weekend. Do not expect to go out for a wonder outside this period. Of course I can go out for dinners or movies or bowling or something. We always do this sort of things when we hang out with friends right? The problem here is, we do not have many friends (less than a handful). Even though we have been here for a while, we never manage to integrate into the Danish society. It is a shame, I know. There are various reasons for it but I will skip this details for now. Anyway, going out to do these activities with only Brian and I feels a bit awkward. Sometimes it even brings stronger loneliness when you think about it.

This is why I have been talking about moving. I do not like this and I think I have had enough. This is not me. So in 2007 I am going to make the plan comes true. I will need to find a place that will change my life back to normal, with more friends or families around. That is the goal of the year.

No comments: