Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hongkonger Vs Chinese

Haven't written for a really long time. I believe I should write more often, I'm just lazy, I know.

I have seen a lot of Hong Kong handover 10 years anniversary TV programmes. They made me think a lot. When people ask me where I come from, I would answer without a second thought: "I'm from Hong Kong". "Oh you're from China..." people would say, "urgh... yeees" I answer. Foreigners think my answer is odd. Chinese mainlanders think I am wierd. Sometimes people tease me by saying "Oh yeah?! I am from Amager!" Hum... Well, I guess, only Hong Kong people can truely understand the reasons and feelings behind. We belong to no country, we are simply, orphans.

This is actually very sad if you think about it. I cannot hide my face, it is written on my forehead that I am a Chinese, no doublt about that. I have no desire to hide or deny this fact. The problem is, I don't know how to sing the national anthem. I did not grow up in that culture. I do not agree on what they do a lot of the time. We think in different ways. Hongkongers and mainlanders are just like two different nations although we do share something in common. Several times I think "Should I from now on tell people that I'm from China?" "No, no way, it just feels so un-natural to say that". That is how I feel, I believe, that is also how a few million people in Hong Kong feel. Watch documentary about how the young people feel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi frances. how are u? this is owen frankie~ long time no contact...

yeah! most of foreigners don't know the situation between HK and china. so when answering where are u from? simply tell them from hong kong...the same as Jackie chan ! i know kung fu~ hahah....

let it be a funny self introduction~

Anonymous said...

I know your situation. I am Hongkonger too, and I just moved to San Francisco. You know, the foreigners is hard to define which is Hongkonger, which is Chinese in San Francisco cuz the Chinese dun speak Mandarin here, they speak Cantonese too. It is confusing...